Thursday, January 20, 2011

That Creeps Me Out. And I like it.



Big shout out to Christian Torres for posting Joshua Hoffine's work. Love it! Anything that disturbing is awesome and, frankly, that's all that needs to be said. A few quarters ago I shot a series that a lot of people got creeped out by. So I call that a success. :) Hoffine's work is actually a little humorous. Am I messed up for thinking so? Probably. But, hey! The boogeyman don't exist...

And as my friend just said, "Well, at least I can say it was shot well..."

Here are two shots from my series, "Damned." I used a strobe and a non-shoot-thru umbrella (one with the silver reflector lining). Jorge Gonzalez was the designer on this project and he came to me with the original concept of forensic podiatry. So we went with the idea of photographing a serial killer who is obsessed with women's feet. The whole series is presented in a sort of out-of-time fashion a'la the movie "Memento." Given the subject matter I decided to go with very harsh lighting to get deep shadows. And even though it has a low-key feel, the majority of the shots lean toward a high-key style. To be honest, the lighting was mostly improved on the spot since I could only get hold of one light.

But made it work with the help of some cardboard boxes to use as a snoot in some of the shots. The rest of the series is up on the wall at The Circus somewhere.