Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Transparent and semi-transparent on white

Here are a few photos I made the other day of an octopus purchased at Your Dekalb Farmers Market. It's right around the corner from my studio and it's a great resource for fresh and interesting food fare. Check it out sometime on your way to class.
The white background helps bring out the color
and detail of the semi-transparent octopus
I like how the blue plate added some color and a
contrast to the warm tones of the octopus.


I'm always attracted to simple, graphic compositions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be honest, this kind of freaks me out (totally not a seafood kind of guy) but I'd be remiss if I didn't request some detail about how you lit these shots.

Was the surface of the skin just naturally that slick & shiny or did you enhance that a bit (not with photoshop)?

For the last two shots (but the vase shot especially) - did you add anything extra to help the tentacle keep it's shape?

-B

jasonbjames said...

Well, done. I love the sheen of the tentacle. I, too, am curious to how you got it to keep its shape in the vase.

tmox said...

I'll explain tonight in class if you want.