Saturday, October 9, 2010

ambient light

Learning to harness ambient light and create an image that looks as it did through the view finder is one of the things I am really trying to work on here at the Circus. I want to utilize this source to give my photos a soft, approachable look.

I am posting two images I took this weekend. The first was taken with my phone on the way home around 7:30 pm. I love way the setting sun on a clear evening plays off the Westin hotel. It allows for very crisp reflections of light. The second image is from shoot for a restaurant. I set up the plates next to a large window around 5 pm and got some great, bright lightthat threw some deep shadows.








6 comments:

Kristy Tootle said...

I think that is great Brian. Opposite you, I am trying to work on artifical lighting here at the circus because, ambient is all I really have ever worked with. So I am pumped about Tims class because I think he does a stellar job of minipulating light.

Kristy Tootle said...

OOPS - manipulating.

jasonbjames said...

No big deal, but its Jason : )

Kristy Tootle said...

I for some reason always want to call Brian Jason or vice versa...sorry:) I did realize though on some level that it was not really Brian. I guess the transmitter that is supposed to tell my fingers that are typing failed:)

tmox said...

Yes he does, and soon all three of you will be able to as well. Light acts the same whether its coming from the sun or a light source it's all about how you modify the quality of light or how it's modified for you.

Katie Daniel said...

Hi ya'll!

I'm having trouble figuring out how to post a couple of photos I took this weekend.

Can someone help me (I'm like a smart 6 year old about blogging).

Thank you.